One autistic broad's take on all kinds of stuff -OR- What the world smells like when your nose is this big

Saturday, November 6, 2010

November 6th, 2010

~From Lori Berkowitz, board member of Autism Women's Network;

"I was a smart but strange kid. I didn't understand things, especially people. I didn't fit in. I thought school was dumb. I thought a lot of things were dumb. Turns out a lot of them are, but many were not as black and white as I thought at the time. It wasn't until I was an adult that I began seeing shades of grey.

During my early years of school, I barely talked at all and spent a bunch of time in the principal's office. My teachers and school psychologists thought I could be normal if I tried harder. If I would just be like the other kids, they would like me and wouldn't be so mean to me. I just wasn't ‘applying myself'.

It wasn't until 5 years ago that I finally learned what is ‘wrong' with me. I have Asperger's Syndrome. Autism. I sometimes wonder what would life have been like if we knew that when I was 3 instead of when I was 38? It is hard not to think of all the ‘if's."

~Thanks, Lori, you're singing my song.

No comments:

Post a Comment